Donegal Kerrigans

clover

Donegal Kerrigans

Postby clover » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:54 pm

Just joined as a starting point to trace my fathers family. James Kerrigan born 1914 Castlefin Co. Donegal. His father died in the first world war - so dont know of my great grandfather. Any info or advise on geneaology greatly appreciated.

Hammer

Re: Donegal Kerrigans

Postby Hammer » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:47 am

According to my research, a James Kerrigan of County Donegal, came to New York City in 1842. If I have the correct one came from the Village of Curraghomongan in Stranorlar parish. His father's name was Thomas. I understand that by 1901 there were two Kerrigan households in Curraghomongan. I got this information from a Donegal website that is operated by a guy in New Zealand.

That's as much as I know.

Patrick Kerrigan

eileenkeriganj

Postby eileenkeriganj » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:43 pm

Hi Patrick

I think I am a descendant of the Kerrigan family that you are speaking about. My family came from Donegal about the time that you mentioned. The names of James and Thomas are also correct. They lived in New York City, later moved to the Bronx and now are living in New Jersey, Queens, NY, Long Island some in Washington State and some in Massachusetts and also Ohio. I would love to receive a link to that Donegal website that you mention. This just might be what I am looking for! Thanks,
Eileen Kerrigan Jakaitis

brecchione

Postby brecchione » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:12 am

where in Ohio are your Kerrigan relatives. Mine are from Piqua, and Cincinnati.

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:27 am

I wonder if there is a connection. There are at least 6 Kerrigan's buried in Holy Cross Cemetery. Also just for general information there was a Joseph J. Kerrigan Association that existed in Brooklyn, in the 1880's. I have a copy of a flyer for their Grand Afternoon and Evening Promenade that took place in 1885. It appears that my great grandfather provided the music for this event. Also there was a James Kerrigan that was a officer in this association. All I know about this association was that it was a social organization in the 5th ward of Brooklyn.

I don't know if the Joseph J. Kerrigan was a relative or not. I don't know why they would name an association after someone. I have contacted the Brooklyn Historical Society and also the New York Irish History Roundatble, but know one seems to know about these groups. However, on the flyer they list picnics and other activities of other associations named after a person. I know there was a James Kerrigan, who was a U.S. Congressman from Brooklyn for two years around the Civil War. I believe he was charged with something during the Civil War.

Return to “General Discussion”