Kerrigan in Phila. PA

susan

Kerrigan in Phila. PA

Postby susan » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:46 pm

My great grandmother Ella Aloysuis Kerrigan was born 30 July 1866 in PA about 6 weeks after her mother arrived from Ireland. Her mother Mary Carr was married to John Kerrigan in Ireland. He came to America first and sent for Mary to came. There were other children: Annie, Margaret, John, and Hughie (all born in America). I would like to know more about this family. The information I supplied is an oral history.
Susan

Hammer

Re: Kerrigan in Phila. PA

Postby Hammer » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:34 am

I am not an expert on Irish in Philadelphia. However, I subscribe to a website called Irish Philadelpia. com. I have a former partner that lives there. I dragged her to a Scottish/Irish Festival near Valley Forge. So if I need information on Irish events in Philly, I check them out. I would check the site out and they might be able to point you towards some information resources in that necks of the woods.

I came across a reference to a James Kerrigan, who was a Philadelphia Police Lt. a few years ago. I don't know if he is still with them.

Pat K.

yo4pauly
Are you directly related to a Kerrigan?: No
How Long have you been doing Genealogy Research? (Years): 2
Which Kerrigan are you researching?: William J. Kerrigan

Postby yo4pauly » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:17 am

My grandfather William J. Kerrigan arrived Philadelphia in the 1910's from Queenstown (now Cobh) in County Cork. He moved from South Philadelphia to Southwest Philadelphia in the 5500 block of Saybrook Avenue. He and my grandmother Mary O'Connor Kerrigan raised 8 children and both died in the early 1960s. However, there are no death records that I have found. They had four sons and four daughters: William, Richard, Francis and Joseph; Mary, Rita, Gertrude and Marguerite.

They had cousins named Kerrigan in Philly, James and Joseph (who was a Diocesan priest).

All the Kerrigans of Cobh have moved away from the cathedral church where my grandfather was baptized. His father was named Richard and, as I understand it, came from Westport, County Mayo(?)

I'm not quite sure how to plan my research. Any suggestions?

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:48 am

I would recommend checking them on Ancestry.com. I use my local library here in Oak Lawn, Il. They have access to Ancestry.com the library version. It can provide some basic material such as access to the census records, social security death index, and some military records. For some detailed records they require the payment.

The social security death index might show where they last lived as far as zip code. Also if anyone of them was in the military and died they might show up on the Veterans Administration records. This would show if they were buried in a VA National Cemetery or a private cemetery. They normally provide a headstone for deceased veterans and will ship it to any cemetery the family desires.

Also I am a former police officer with the Veterans Administration. A search under Kerrigan turned up a number of Kerrigan's in Law Enforcement. I am amazed at the number of Kerrigan's that come up under that search. One hit on the web is for an Australian movie called the "The Castle". It's about a Kerrigan family who live in a house on the edge of a runway at a local busy airport. It's a bit funny when they fight the local government who want them to move to expand the airport.

One of them I came across was a James Kerrigan with the Philadelphia Police Department. Another Kerrigan quit school at an early age to help his family. He retired as the CEO of some big firm in New York. Also there were two actors's with the last name Kerrigan.

Another source of information would be checking the obit's from the local Phidadelphia newspapers. Some of their records should be available online.

I am not an expert at this but have stumbled across some stuff at the local library. Also their are some basic guide books on the genealogy that would point you towards sources of information.

There are some magazines also that cover the field. They should be available at your local library. Also I would check to see if there is a Philadelphia Genealogy Group, or Pennsylvania Genealogy Association. If there is they might be able to point you towards some sources of information for death records, etc.

I hope this helps a bit.

Patrick K

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Wed Dec 24, 2008 12:54 am

I was just looking at your message again. I seem to remember a Joseph Kerrigan as a priest. I will try and recheck again. Call me 708-466-4624 (c) if you want to some other suggestions.

Patrick

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:47 pm

I Father Joseph Kerrigan working somewhere in New Jersey where he is from. Also there was a James Kerrigan as a Lieutenant with the Philadelphia Police Department and also a Lieutenant with the Philadelphia Fire Dept., in the 1980's.

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:49 am

I regards to Pennsylvania or Philadelphia Genealogy stuff. I went to the Irish Philadelphia website. Their was an interesting article about the author's family search. The author recommended the following websites or sources of information:
Ancestry.Com - charges an enrollment fee, but I use the version available at my local library in Oak Lawn, Il.
RootsWeb - provides a very good version of the Social Security Death Index

Directory of Irish Genealogy
County Cork - www.corkancestors.com
County Mayo - County Mayo Genealogy (Up Mayo) - My mother was from Mayo.
County Donegal - there is a website operated by a guy in New Zealand or Australia. Very helpful.
Northern Ireland - www.ulsterancestors.com
USGenWeb
Griffiths Valuation- A sort of census that was conducted in Ireland in the 1850's I believe.

LDS (Mormons) Family History Centers, they have great records. They have a facility in Philadelphia at 2076 Red Lion Road, call them at 215-673-2770 for their hours of operation.

Cindi's List- She put together a list of various sources of genealogy information. A good source for us beginners in genealogy.

National Archives - U.S. Government records. They would have census records, passenger ships records, and records from other federal agencies. Also I believe that Philadelphia was the first city to keep immigrant passenger records.

Pennsylvania State Archives - they might have records of any state census that were conducted. Some states did their own.

Philadelphia City Archives, all the city records of births, deaths, marriages. 3101 Market Street, Suite 150.

Pennsylvania Historical Society and Genealogy Society of Pennsylvania.

Also the Veterans Administration has records of veterans buried in their cemeteries around the country. This would include their date of birth and date of death. Also they allow their wives to be buried there also. This also will included veterans buried in civilian cemeteries, if they requested a veterans headstone.

Also most libraries should have some genealogy materials such as books, magazines or journals from local groups or major genealogy companies.

Ancestry
Everton
Internet Genealogy

In regards to my Kerrigan research, My family came from Brooklyn, New York. I came across a book about what family information could be obtained from old tombstones at Holy Cross Cemetery in Brooklyn. They quite often listed where they person was from. Also if the deceased was a child they would not list a name but would identify them as the son of or daughter of the father or mother.

Also a famous cemetery in Brooklyn, Greenwood Cemetery has their burial records on-line. I my grandfather and his parents are buried there. Many famous and a few infamous people are buried there.

I hope that provides some resources for your searches. If not email me at boss4140_oaklawn@yahoo.com, and I will check through the Oak Lawn Library.

Patrick K

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:14 pm

Susan, I was checking a little bit and could not find anything on Ancestry. I was wondering if Ella parents came through Ellis Island or if they arrived in Philadelphia. That's sometime the problem is trying to figure out how they got here. Some of the imigrants arrived in Canada and then crossed the border.

In regards to my Kerrigans. I found information on them in the New York Emigrants Bank. It was established sometime in the 1850's. When you opened an account they asked for the year you were born, the year you came from Ireland, the name of the ship, also what the name of the village, parish, and county. They also entered your parents name.

Just to think this was before we had to deal with identity theft. The only problem was that how they spelled the village name in County Donegal. I had a hard time figuring it out. I finally went to a website on County Donegal and emailed the operator who kindly reminded me that it was spelled the way it sounded and not how it was spelled.

Also the James Kerrigan was married to a Mary. She supposedly came over in 1841. But I could not figure out the spelling out the ship. I checked a book of passenger arrivals for this time frame and could not find anything close to what it might have been. So it made me wonder if she came into another port then New York.

That's some of the problems we have to deal with. II was wondering where you got the oral history on Ella Kerrigan.

susan

Postby susan » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:57 pm

My mother is the grand daughter of Ella Kerrigan and this is the story that was told to her about her grandmother. I have no place of birth in Penna. Her death certificate states that her father was John Kerrigan born in Ireland and her mother was Mary Carr born in Ireland. It states that she was born 7-30-1866. The story is that Ella was born about 6 weeks after her mother arrived in Phila. I did find a Mary Kerrigan, 20 years old, arriviing in Phila on the S/S Tuscarora 6/15/66.
The family may have been somewhere in the coal mine areas but I have not been able to find them. I do not know when the father died but Mary did come to Phila.
after his death and was a midwife. Ella married John Andrew Young in Phila. and raised a large family. Ella and John Young are buried in Arlington Cemetery, Drexel Hill PA
Does anyone know anything about this family?
Susan

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:34 pm

Susan, I was wondering if you found anything checking the census records. I would assume that they should show up there. I have saved this whole string and will try and check things at my local library. I don't know where you live. However, I would also suggest tracking down your closest office of the National Archives. There is one close to me and they provide access to microfilm records and also to Ancestry and other genealogy records.

I have backed off on some my Kerrigan's. However, I am trying to find a way to determine which one of three 1st cousins of my father served on submarines during WW II. I am a former submariner and would like to track down their family members.

Patrick K

Return to “General Discussion”