Indiana kerrigans

beesknees

Indiana kerrigans

Postby beesknees » Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:04 pm

Hi all

Looking for information about kerrigans buried at riverview cemetery Auora Indiana I already have some information about Austin and Honora kerrigan . Austin was in the 146th Indiana during the civil war they separated and Honora with children Austin jr , Thomas , john and Delia all migrated to Australa, Austin died in 1903 . His brother Phillip married Helen the had 5 children but there names are not listed in 1890 cences I know Phillip died in 1900 but i have no information where Helen and the children went I was hoping maybe someone had access too other resources that may help me out it is hard to access things as I live in Australia

Colin kerrigan
jckeg@bigpond.com.au

Hammer

Re: Indiana kerrigans

Postby Hammer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:23 am

I decided to check on your Indian Kerrigan. I found a reference to a U.S. National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers in Ohio. Their is a reference to a log book entry and sort of verifies his death. I was unable to read the whole entry. It appeared that he was there recuperating from injuries. But it's only a guess. There also seemed to be a reference to a brother Thomas Kerrigan. They did not make a full copy of the log book entry.

Is there any other information that you might have for me to try and find.

Patrick K

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:41 pm

I was checking my road atlas to see where Aurora, Indiana was. Well, it's on the Ohio River across from Kentucky, but also close to the Ohio border. If it was a bit closer to south suburbs of Chicago, I would have taken a ride there and see what local records their were. Also might have visited the cemetery.

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Sun May 10, 2009 7:18 pm

This is what I developed from my checks. It appears that Austin Kerrigan was born in Ireland around 1829, in County Mayo. He served in Army during the Civil War either from September 1864 to August 31, 1865. He was about 5' 5" tall, with dark hair and eyes. He may have lost his eye sight in the left eye and may have had another injury to his side.

This information come from the U.S. National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers in Dayton, Ohio where he was enrolled in 1884 (55). He was receiving a pension for his injuries, at some time. Their records point to a brother Thomas, but no further information is available. It appears that he was identified as being a widow. Makes me wonder if he claimed wife died, or possibly he got remarried.

Also is it possible to identify where his brother Phillip and wife Helen was living. Also just for information. The Allen County Public Library has an extensive genealogy service. They are located in Indiana. I have signed up for their newletter. If have any further information please contact me.

Patrick K
boss4140_oaklawn@yahoo.com

Return to “General Discussion”